Unlike Blanche, in A
Streetcar Named Desire, I have never really depended on the kindness of
strangers. Before. Now, it seems I do. Quite a bit. I thought, before my plane
touched down, that I would be greeted at the gate by a banner and loads of
people looking for me. That was not to be. So there I was, shoving two immense rolling
suitcases around the airport, not knowing where to go, or to whom I should
announce my presence. That was the first time I encountered a certain breed of
kindness found here in South Korea. A taxi driver helped me find an information
booth to get the aid I needed. I found my party and all was well. No big deal,
right? I agree, but that was just the beginning.
A few weeks later I was getting money out of the ATM machine
at my bank (after hours), when the machine ate my card. I panicked. I needed
money, and the bank was closed. One little “Oh no!” exclamation from me and the
other eight people in the vestibule instantly rallied and made such a ruckus
that the security guard went around back and retrieved my card.
Then there was the time I was meeting another American
teacher downtown and got turned around and was lost. Before I could panic, an
older lady called me over to her stand and gave me directions to the place I
needed to be. She must have seen the abject horror on my face.
I could tell several more of these kinds of stories: The
students who let me cut the line in front of them at a food stand after school;
a neighbor, Mr. Kim, greeting me with a broad smile and ushering me into his
store to meet his family and have a vitamin drink; the lady at the convenience
store who FED me some sticky, sweet rice treat she made, and when I indicated
they were good, she gave me a huge handful of them in a bag to take home (for
free); the shop girl who walked me to an ATM and waited for me to come out of
the vestibule so she could walk me back to familiar surroundings (yep, that
happened).
And these instances are completely separate and apart from
all of the freebies I get when I go shopping. I get handfuls of samples from
just about everywhere I go. So many, in fact, I gave many of them away to my
daughter on a recent visit home. Free pop at a restaurant? No problem. A whole
cake just for delivering a good lesson in front of the principal? Yep. It is truly amazing.
I wish I could say everyone is treated like this in South
Korea, but apparently, that’s not the case. A Korean co-teacher of mine said
she NEVER gets free stuff when she goes shopping. I was shocked. So then, what’s
the deal, you ask? Good PR. South Korea wants people to speak kindly of her, it
seems. Yes, when I go home, it is this country’s wish that I expound on all of
the wonderful treatment I received at her hands. Now, I have to be honest, I’m
appreciative. They could not give a crap and treat us foreigners like dirt. But
it takes the shine off of the situation a bit. I mean, it’s all for show. It’s
a sham of sorts, a ruse…mendacity (one of my favorite words), a mask. So what
does the real Korea look like? You know, to a Korean? I have no clue. Not
knowing the language kind of takes me out of the game. But I do know what I
observe, and that is “business as usual”. Service workers are efficient and
polite enough, but they’re not bending over backwards to help out their fellow
countrymen and women. Then again, Koreans don’t typically require the kind of
help I do. Depending on the store, Koreans MAY get a freebie here and there,
but I sure as heck don’t see them being loaded down with samples and free
treats. But I must say that I also don’t observe them being overtly rude to
each other, either. I guess it’s just the way it goes here.
To be truthful, it
can be kind of embarrassing. I’ve tried to decline politely, but it doesn’t
work. They tend to look genuinely hurt if you don’t accept. So what do I do? I take
the bag, bow my head, say “Gam sa hap ni da” (thank you), and keep it moving. I
mean, it’s free! Wouldn’t you do the same?
*Next week I’m going to start adding some pictures whenever
I can. It’ll make things a bit more interesting, I think. Take care!
No comments:
Post a Comment